The Columbus Airport is celebrating 75 years of being your HOMETOWN airport.
2019 marks the 75th year the Columbus Airport has been serving the Columbus, Phenix City, and Fort Benning area.
Columbus’ hometown airport is not only celebrating its rich history but also looking forward to serving local residents for the next 75 years…and beyond.
- In 1931 air service first began in Columbus.
- To fill that need, construction began on the Columbus Airport in 1941 and it officially opened in 1944.
- In 1961, Delta Airlines initiated commercial air service to Columbus.
- The airport added a two-story terminal in 1991.
- Today, the airport is an easy and convenient way for local residents to travel.
- The airport offers 4 Delta flights daily with short TSA security lines.
- Passengers also have access to Pet’s Landing, a dog park for your furry travel companion.
- The airport restaurant, Propellers, is a full-service restaurant offering travelers tasty and quick meals.
- Those in need of a rental vehicle have 6 services to choose from, all located within the main terminal!
Columbus’ Home for Homecomings
Throughout its 75 years, the Columbus Airport has been the site of countless reunions of returning soldiers and their families.
From current Army deployments to the Vietnam War, generations of soldiers have been welcomed home at the Columbus Airport.
….One Last Thing
From 1944 to today, the Columbus Airport has been an integral part of life in Columbus, GA. This fantastic local resource provides access to the world on a global scale from our community, improving the quality of life for our region. Where will you go next?